Hormone Friendly Menstrual Products Available In Your Local Drugstore
I’m glad you stopped by. On my quest to provide you information to help you curate your hormone friendly wellness journey, I find myself coming across many obstacles. My ideal was to find a list of safer menstrual products you could find at your local Target or CVS and much to my surprise none exists. Hard to believe, since we’re living in the Information Age. Well, lucky for you I decided to create one myself!
Why are hormone friendly menstrual products important?
Many commonly known menstrual hygiene or products on the market contain bleach, pesticides, fragrances/perfumes, and a number of other harmful chemicals. It’s no longer enough to be aware of TTC aka Toxic Shock Syndrome although there seem to be myths about that in itself, read here. Now knowing that all of these things exist just think about where you’re placing them...on the most vulnerable part of your body...the vagina, it’s literally an opening. This isn’t meant to cause fear at all but to bring more awareness about how best to treat our bodies. We all have one in this lifetime and we all try our best with the tools we have.
I ensured to provide a list with variety. If you’re still into pads cool I got you. If you’re the super eco-friendly save the planet by any means possible type then no worries I got you too.
Please keep in mind that not all drugstores carry the same in-store items or inventory in stock but know that they are always available online for your convenience.
- L. Organic Cotton - $3.99 - $6.99
- These pantyliners are made in Italy, already a win since the EU has much higher standards when it comes to what they allow in their consumer market. Their claims are that they are made with plant-based materials, hypoallergenic organic cotton, free of harsh synthetics, chemicals, chlorine, pesticides, fragrances, and dyes. They also come in different sizes like regular, super ultra thin, overnight, maxi pads, and tampons (regular, super and mixed packs). They even have organic cotton wipes that are free of phthalates, parabens, cruelty-free and plant-based.
- Cora Organic - $5.99 - $11.99
- These organic tampons come in three available packs as well: regular, light, super and mixed absorbency for all your flow needs. Made of 100% certified organic cotton (tampon + withdrawal cord), free of pesticide, insecticides, GMOs, rayon, polyester, chlorine, dioxin, fragrances, perfumes, and deodorants. Pads and pantyliners are also available.
- The Honey Pot Company - $6.99 - $9.99
- These herbal-infused (rose, lavender, mint, and aloe essential oils) menstrual pads are manufactured without chlorine and made of pesticide-free cotton. Items available in this include personal wash that is aluminum-free, dye-free, paraben-free, vegan, phthalate-free as well as fragrance-free personal wipes. *Note: Please be mindful about essential oils, if you have questions I always advise to reach out to the brand or to a formulator that has EOs knowledge. They should provide transparent information to their consumers.
- Organyc - $5.79
- Made with 100% certified organic cotton inside and out these pads help ensure no irritation if you experience sensitive skin. Super affordable and hormone-friendly. It's a win.
- Natracare - $4.12
- Natracare Regular Maxi pads are soft, 100% organic cotton cover allows your skin to breathe whilst at the same time keeping you dry. Natracare Maxi pads do not contain synthetic materials, plastic, chemical additives such as binders or surfactants, fragrances, polyacrylate super absorbents or dyes and because of the natural materials used they are 100% biodegradable and compostable.
- Lunapads - $15.99 - $18.99
- Did abuela o mami teach you about cloth pads? Then these performa pads are for you not only are they washable but they also help reduce waste and save you money on your monthly expenses. Made with wicking cotton and advanced fiber technology. These include wings with a snap button so you can be sure they’ll move with you. You can easily throw rinse with cool water, throw in the washer and dryer and they’re ready to reuse. (Available in mini and maxi size.)
- Gladrags - $12.37 - $41.24
- All-cotton pads free from irritating synthetics and chemical gels. These include inserts that allow you to control the absorbency strength you’ll need that day. As your flow changes, you can determine how many inserts you’ll need, great idea! Including some fun patterns to change with your mood.
- The DivaCup - $32.99
- If you've never used a menstrual cup before it could be a bit intimating and off-putting for many. I know that was my case years ago, I would cringe at the thought of one. Since my ovarian surgery, I've "graduated" to the menstrual cup. This video helped me when I started to feel intrigued by the idea. DivaCup provides to sizes/models. Model 1 is intended for individuals that have not experienced vagina births. Model 2 is for those that have given birth vaginally or by Caesarean section. They also have a divawash available that I've used to clean my cup and can be used as personal wash.
- Intimina - $29.95
- This menstrual cup is unique in design. Unlike other cups that you simply store in a pouch when not in use, the Intimina is collapsible making it completely flat and easy to store in it's compact. It's actually quite fascinating and taking up less space in your bag or when traveling. This medical-grade silicone is ultra-soft, flexible and available in two sizes.
- Lunette - $39.99
- The lunette is available in a variety of fun colors if you're looking for something other than clear or pink. The colors really help reduce staining which can often happen with a clear menstrual cup like the divacup. If that's not you're "cup of tea", then this may be the cup for you! Made BPA-free, Chlorine-free, ethyl alcohol-free, no fragrance added, hypoallergenic, lanolin-free, non-toxic, paraben-free, Bleach-free, phthalate-free you can feel confident for up to 12 hours a day.
- Softdisc - $10.99
- These are entirely new to me and I found interesting which is why I included them. Imagine a tampon and a menstrual cup had a cousin I present to you...the menstrual disc. This is the leak-proof, swim-proof, sleep-proof alternative to tampons, pads, and menstrual cups. Easy-to-use and comfortable to wear, Softdisc gives you 12 hours of freedom during your period. Hypoallergenic and free of phthalates, BPA and natural latex, Softdisc is safe to wear for 12 hours and is not linked to TSS. Designed to work for both heavy and light periods, Softdisc holds the equivalent of 5 tampons and comes with discreet bags for on-the-go disposal. If you're not comfortable having to wash out a regular menstrual cup and reinsert then perhaps you can try these disposable discs. Let me know in the comments below if you've tried!
There you have a list full of hormone-friendly menstrual products available at your Target and CVS, in-store or online. Be sure to check out this site in it's entirety especially the Resources section as I continuously update. Leave me a comment and let me know which menstrual product you prefer.
Hasta la próxima.